Social Media

RSS Bloglovin Email Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ LinkedIn

Monday, March 25, 2013

gf update + single-lady recipe: quinoa casserole

It's been freezing here in Chapel Hill—and probably everywhere else—which leads me to a really exciting announcement: I AM LESS COLD!

You guys, this is a BIG DEAL. The entire reason I decided to give up gluten was to experiment with whether or not my eternal state of frozenness was related to my gluten addiction. It's officially been two weeks since I last (knowingly) consumed any gluten, and I HAVE actually begun to notice a difference! I'm hesitant to say it's really linked yet, since it's only been like 2 days since I noticed the difference, but I'm really excited and hopeful that it stays this way.

In other news, I've been trying to find yummy, easy, un-weird gluten-free recipes and I stumbled across http://www.neverhomemaker.com/. I've been following this blog for awhile, but I hadn't been keeping up with it, so it came as quite a pleasant surprise to discover that Ashley, the runner mama behind this great blog, started a gluten-free experiment THE WEEK BEFORE I DID! How neat is that? She has been experimenting with easy, inexpensive gluten free recipes, so finding this blog was basically like stumbling across a gold mine.

Tonight I've got a quinoa casserole waiting for me in the crock pot, and let me tell you I AM PUMPED. I followed the original recipe pretty closely, just halved for single-lady proportions:

tastes a lot yummier than it looks... I promise :)

SINGLE-LADY QUINOA CASSEROLE

3/4 c. quinoa
1 1/2 c. chicken broth (I used stock)
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt & cinnamon
1/8 c. almonds (didn't have any of these, but I think they would be INCREDIBLE)
1/6 c. cranberries
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
1/4 block crumbled feta

Directions: Rinse quinoa & mix with olive oil. Add broth, salt, cinnamon, almonds & cranberries; cook in a crock pot on low 4-6 hours or high 2-4 hours. Lightly fluff with fork, then gently mix in halved or quartered tomatoes and the crumbled cheese. Drop a handful of spinach, cover and cook on high for about 20 more minutes (until spinach is wilted). 

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment